I was advised that you guys on this forum are very helpful and I would really appreciate some advice! I apologise in advance for the long post.
I bought my 1994 325i Convertible back in May this year. I really should have known better but fell in love with it.
So the list of problems are as follows;
- Small oil leak: suggested cam cover gasket (still haven't done it....I'm very naughty)
- Some hunting on idle and poor fuel consumption: checked for vacuum leak around airflow manifold and hoses I could see...no change in revs, could be some perished rubber somewhere though I guess. MAF another suggestion, also engine temp sensor.
- Roof electrics don't work (wiring was cut), I've completely replaced the hood so potentially could get this sorted once I get the latch on that was also removed!
- Rust on one rocker panel....it looks pretty bad but actually doesn't seem too deep.
- Bushes in control arms need replacing.
Last week massive clunking underneath the car when putting foot down, checked out the propshaft coupling ......kn****red. When I was under there I also noticed rather a lot of oil around the gearbox area, I wanted to check the transmission oil level but the plug on the side has been properly bodged and is rather pointy
I don't know a massive amount about mechanics but I'm willing to give it a go, however I can't get enough room under the car to drop the exhaust. I also noticed something else when I was under there and I'm probably asking a stupid question but there was something that looks like a fabric wadding kind of hanging down a little bit and it seemed saturated. What on earth is this? It looks a bit like someone is hiding in there with a coat on
So given that I'll at least need to get the coupling (and bearing?) done by someone who knows what they are doing, is it worth putting ? money into the car or am I better off just breaking it ....and getting something more sedate and sensible.....maybe an Almera