In a few days, i have a "friend of a friend" dropping by with a potential buy to replace my previous -98 Passat which i consigned to the scrapheap due to a fairly sudden head gasket failure that'd cost me almost 1400$ to repair. Given that i purchased the car almost 2 years back as a "training" car and only paid 600£, i thought it too expensive to go on.
Which is why i registered here!
The car i'm looking at to get me from A to B, to learn more about cars, and to drive something german, but different than passat, is a 1996 E36 316i, with the M43 1.6, automatic transmission. What drew me to this car initially are a few things, really.
* Since it's building and registration, it's only had two owners. The current owner has had it for almost 8 years, and has used it strictly for commuting and "calm" driving. Both of the previous owner were over 60-70 years old.
* Full service record with regular checkups.
* Claimed to be in "very good condition", something i've been able to confirm from some of the pictures. There's a very small fleck of rust (size of a dime or so) by the front grill, other than that the car doesn't seem to have any dings, scratches or blemishes.
* Interior said to be in very good condition as well, though this is something i'll of course confirm when the owner brings it by.
* Engine and gearbox said to perform well.
Given that all of the above are as the owner describes, i thought it wise if i asked a few people who know more about these cars about things to look out for. I'll have what time i need to check the car out, both interior and exterior as well as test drive. Got the usual sort of "list" of things to go over when buying a used car, so i'll tick those 50-60 things off as well. I know a few basic things about cars - what to look for, what to listen for, what's considered to be a dealbreaker when looking at used vehicles and so forth.
What i'd like, if at all possible, is that if someone knows something specific to look for in this type/year/make of car, point me to it and i'll jot it down. And then, hopefully, i can come back next week as an owner of this car .
Thanks in advance!