E39 520 E39 520 random alarm!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    BFI Hero
    martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    994
    Car Specs:
    Year
    2001
    Model
    E46 318ti
    Engine
    2.0
    Fuel
    petrol
    Thanks
    463
    Thanked 288 Times in 215 Posts


    Donate Please click the
    image to support
    BMWForums.info
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    E39 520 random alarm!

    Ok, as some will know i just picked up one of these, the alarm had randomly gone off 3 times now, at 1st i thought it was the hail stones weve had up here, but its calm as anything now and its gone off twice while calm. I know the guy i bought it off put a new boot lid on it, so could something to do with that be a prob? Also ihave no manual with the car so is there any way i can lock it without arming the alarm?

  2. #2
    But you can call me cat-snake.
    Site Admin
    Ferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    7,642
    Car Specs:
    Year
    2001
    Model
    E46
    Engine
    330
    Fuel
    Momentum
    Thanks
    4,286
    Thanked 5,095 Times in 3,168 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    so is there any way i can lock it without arming the alarm
    Use the key in the door lock, don't use the fob and the alarm won't arm

  3. #3
    BFI Hero
    martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    994
    Car Specs:
    Year
    2001
    Model
    E46 318ti
    Engine
    2.0
    Fuel
    petrol
    Thanks
    463
    Thanked 288 Times in 215 Posts


    Re: E39 520 random alarm!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Use the key in the door lock, don't use the fob and the alarm won't arm
    Really? Cant believe how thick i look now : i thought that would still arm the fucker lol

  4. #4
    Gettin REALLY grumpy, ABM for PM!
    BFI God you need to get out more!
    watty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    the fffrozen north
    Posts
    5,047
    Car Specs:
    Year
    1990 - 1995
    Model
    e32 735i - e34 520i
    Engine
    Yes - Yes
    Fuel
    petrol
    Thanks
    7,411
    Thanked 3,704 Times in 2,628 Posts


    Im no expert mate but i think my first port of call would be that bootlid to see if its def lined up properly

    You happy enough with the car tho?

  5. #5
    BFI Hero
    martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    994
    Car Specs:
    Year
    2001
    Model
    E46 318ti
    Engine
    2.0
    Fuel
    petrol
    Thanks
    463
    Thanked 288 Times in 215 Posts


    E39 520 random alarm!

    Quote Originally Posted by watty View Post
    Im no expert mate but i think my first port of call would be that bootlid to see if its def lined up properly

    You happy enough with the car tho?
    Yea apart from a mysterious lost fuel over night issue, after reading up on it, it seems to be common on the e39 to give incorrect fuel readings when it has less than quarter tank! Well see lol

    Any idea where the alarm trigger is on the boot?

  6. #6
    Gettin REALLY grumpy, ABM for PM!
    BFI God you need to get out more!
    watty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    the fffrozen north
    Posts
    5,047
    Car Specs:
    Year
    1990 - 1995
    Model
    e32 735i - e34 520i
    Engine
    Yes - Yes
    Fuel
    petrol
    Thanks
    7,411
    Thanked 3,704 Times in 2,628 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Yea apart from a mysterious lost fuel over night issue, after reading up on it, it seems to be common on the e39 to give incorrect fuel readings when it has less than quarter tank! Well see lol

    Any idea where the alarm trigger is on the boot?
    Couldnt tell you mate sorry

    If your keeping the car i reckon a Bentley manual would be you friend

    Try a google with the switch tho mate

  7. #7
    BFI Member
    TheEnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    139
    Car Specs:
    Year
    1998
    Model
    E39
    Engine
    540I
    Fuel
    Petrol
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 121 Times in 70 Posts


    I'd try opening the bonnet and disconnecting the bonnet switch. That's a fairly common cause.

    The next thing you could try is press the lock button on the remote twice, as that should deactivate the interior sensors (if it was an internal trigger)

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

    martin (05-10-2012),watty (05-10-2012)

  9. #8
    BFI Hero
    martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    994
    Car Specs:
    Year
    2001
    Model
    E46 318ti
    Engine
    2.0
    Fuel
    petrol
    Thanks
    463
    Thanked 288 Times in 215 Posts


    E39 520 random alarm!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    I'd try opening the bonnet and disconnecting the bonnet switch. That's a fairly common cause.

    The next thing you could try is press the lock button on the remote twice, as that should deactivate the interior sensors (if it was an internal trigger)
    Just disconnected the bonnet switch, alarm went off within 5 mins again, same when pressing the fob twice! Just trying a google search now on the boot switch location..

  10. #9
    BFI God you need to get out more!
    Stal1878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    11,036
    Car Specs:
    Year
    1999
    Model
    E39 528i Sport
    Engine
    M52TUB28
    Fuel
    Petroleum
    Thanks
    4,247
    Thanked 5,049 Times in 4,188 Posts


    Alot of cars you just have to ignore the fuel gauge when it gets to under 1/4.
    The Daihatsu dropped off at super speed under 1/4
    The Honda moved up and down like a yoyo when driving under a 1/4
    Works Astra will sometimes stay on the stop with the light on and generally give you a wrong reading when under 1/4

    Hope you get the alarm sorted though, if it where mine I would just disconnect the siren(if possible)

  11. #10
    BFI Hero
    martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    994
    Car Specs:
    Year
    2001
    Model
    E46 318ti
    Engine
    2.0
    Fuel
    petrol
    Thanks
    463
    Thanked 288 Times in 215 Posts


    E39 520 random alarm!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stal1878 View Post
    Alot of cars you just have to ignore the fuel gauge when it gets to under 1/4.
    The Daihatsu dropped off at super speed under 1/4
    The Honda moved up and down like a yoyo when driving under a 1/4
    Works Astra will sometimes stay on the stop with the light on and generally give you a wrong reading when under 1/4

    Hope you get the alarm sorted though, if it where mine I would just disconnect the siren(if possible)
    Tell me about it lol, my golf needle jumps up and down even at a standstill and no matter how much juice in it! Every BMW I've owned has been spot on accurate with the fuel gauge, it ok this morning, with slightly over quarter last night and same today

    Cars been parked with the alarm armed for nearly an hour now, I checked all the connection I could and so far so good

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

    Stal1878 (06-10-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •