In my MIG!
Yes, my MIG that refuses to die packed up for the second time yesterday. Its blown fuses, been submerged in water during a flood and has practically broke to bits on the wire feed, I've even cut up the cover to repair a car, but yesterday a loud crunch followed by much grinding noises told me something had gone wrong.
Turns out inside the wire feed box there is a small collection of gears made of chocolate and one had semi stripped its teeth causing a pulsating wire feed which is not cool.
Being someone who is always under the illusion that everything can be fixed by using anything laying around in the garage I first decided to try substitute this broken cog with something similar, which, after destroying some spare car radios for the eject mechanisms turned up no ideal solutions. Then I had the amazing idea to convert the drive by inventing a direct belt drive. This consisted of a shortened brake slider sleeve from a ford escort bonded to a cog. A guide slot was cut around the sleeve to take a belt and the same guide cut into the remaining cog on the drive spindle. A rubber seal was then fitted and a hole drilled into the top gearbox casing to take a stabilising spindle. After a lot of fettling I got the drive to perform smoothly and fixed it all back together. Unfortunately under the load of the wire clamp, the belt slipped with no drive. A tighter belt was fitted and although this had drive under load, destroyed the top spindle mounting due to the tension forced upon it. That resulted in a bit of a mess and no working wire feed. So far I had spent roughly 3 hours inventing and everything I changed just moved a problem on to another part, a bit like trying to build a wall on mud.
So I eventually cut my losses and ordered a replacement box which took 20 minutes and £50.
Rudes invention and engineering company- 0