Since I've been in Australia for the past 4 months I've been missing driving and work on my car, I've been left with thinking of new things to do it it and planning them for my return.
I suddenly remembered I have a Raspberry Pi at home which I pre-ordered as soon as they were available, I never got round to using it more than just faffing with it. I decided an in-car computer is needed. For those who don't know what a Raspberry Pi is: Raspberry Pi
Has anyone done this before?
I had been planning how to use the I/O pins to safely shutdown with ignition when I stumbled across an ignition switch for the Rasp Pi, it takes power from the battery and automatically boots up on ignition, it checks the ignition status and triggers a safe shutdown once ignition is off. Perfect! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...gnition-switch
The impressive piece of kit even has a cut off period of 4 hours since ignition off to remove power, in case shutdown fails it will not drain my battery.
So I plan on building media center, with extras. I want the project to be more than what I could achieve by using my phone or a decent stereo in my car.
My current plans are:
- XBMC as a media center for music, radio and videos
- A 7" touchscreen to be mounted somewhere (not figured that out yet)
- A custom IR receiver so I can use a remote to control everything too - I might look into the possibility of steering wheel buttons to control music too.
- A dashcam to record permanently and a smaller cam to record inside the car
- Wifi adapter
- I will setup up the ignition switch to shutdown 20mins after ignition is off, so when parked outside the house, it will connect to the home network and scripts will sync music directly to the car, and remove any video recordings onto my PC automatically.
- Software to allow AirPlay
- I will use my iPhone to tether for internet, or perhaps buy a 4G dongle specifically (internet radio etc)
So far everything I've researched is fairly straight forward to achieve. Has anyone else done anything similar? I'm still looking for new features I could add - perhaps some kind of security system, since there will be cameras inside. I could write some software to alert me if the car is being driven, but without me inside. I'd have to figure out the technicalities of that one first.
Some other things I have not looked into yet:
- GPS - I could do lots with this, save latitude and longitude and overlay routes on Google maps to see where the car has been, including calculate speed etc.