I bought a 2003 318i with 117,000km on it on Friday from a motor auction.
Log books show it has been regularly serviced and the dash says 3800km until next one is due.
I have the option to return the car and get my money back on Monday IF there is major fault with the vehicle.
Hoping someone here can help me work out if that is the case or not. I will be visiting a mechanic Monday morning to scan the error codes but after seeing him I need to decide quickly if I will be trying to take it back and want to hopefully know what to ask to make that decision before I go.
Have not owned a BMW before so not 100% certain what to expect but I drove about 50km on Friday afternoon and thought it felt great. Gearbox seemed fast and responsive, engine was a bit more sluggish off the mark than I had expected (but better than any other 2litre I have owned) but in general the car felt wonderful.
Saturday morning I drove about 30km in city traffic and suddenly noticed the gearbox was jerky in the low gears at low speed and it didn't seem to be running right. 10 mins later I noticed the EML and Transmission Limp Mode lights lit on the dashboard.
I decided to pull over and check the handbook and the news seemed very bad at that moment in time when i found out what the lights were. I also noticed that the handbook fell open at the warning lights page, suggesting the previous owner had been looking up the same stuff.
A few minutes later I restarted the car and no sign of the lights. Drove the last 5km to my destination. And half an hour later was able to drive home just fine too with no sign of the lights and the engine and transmission feeling perfect again.
I've done a fair bit of reading and am starting to get the impression one of these things may be the culprit?
- Crankcase Breather Hose Part # 11157503524
- One or all of the Throttle Position Sensors
- Top up transmission fluid
- Replace fluid and filter
I was thinking it might mean something that both engine limp and transmission limp came on and disappeared at same time?
Basically I need to decide if this indicates a major fault or not and if it does how can I prove that it is to the auction house when the car runs fine right now?
Thanks in advance for any help.