Just a quick one from me, so don't expect anything too much from this one. I inherited this car as it had been sat outside a unit for over 15 months as the car would not start and the owner of the land wanted it gone. The car in question is a 2000 X reg 318ci Automatic Coupe in Fern Green with 112k on the clock and cream leather and green piping. Its got full service history and some receipts. So i picked it up and and took it back to my work to see what was wrong with it. As it had been sat for so long, the 2 front tyres were flat and it was dusty and filthy. First things i had to do was get the car running, so as the car came with 2 keys, 1 that would work on the remote and the other the turn the ignition on. When you would turn the key, the car would turn over and would not start, not even with Easy Start and when hooked up to a diagnostic machine it would not read the car. So i spoke to a few people and one suggested getting the right ignition barrel for the car, which i did for £65 from the stealer but didnt work. So i got my mate George to help me look at the car and we looked at everything, from the coils to the fuel pump and the fuel pump and even he was confused. As the diagnostic machine could not read any codes, George decided to pull the ECU out and have a look. And low and behold the ECU had blown on the connection to the coil pack. The ECU had been replaced before but for a Manual Gearbox ECU which i think is the reason why it had blown. So i had a look online and the majority of the kits (lock set, ECU and EWS unit) were for manual cars and the only one i could find for an automatic was luckily at ASWR in Manchester. So for £125 i got the kit and fitted it that night and it ran, a little rough but it started. Managed to get it mobile and give it a wash:
So the next day i gave the car to Brain so he could MOT and it failed as i expected as its been sat for so long. The airbag light was on, the windscreen wipers wouldnt work and it failed on emissions. The driver's front tyre was also not looking too smart which needed to be changed as i had been driven on flat. So as i was going through the motions i decided to give it some TLC.
A change of auxilary belts as the original ones were showing their age:
The emissions pump was leaking so i got a replacement from ASWR:
A full service and new wipers:
I put the car on the diagnostic machine to clear the airbag fault and nothing came up which i had to look at more closely and the passenger curtain airbag had been deployed. What also came up with the DISA Actuator fault, O2 sensor failure and a misfire on cylinder 2. So i went back to ASWR and picked up a curtain airbag and wiper stalk. I couldn't find any guides but had a go at taking it out, it did take an hour to get to and bits of working out but within 2 hours i got it replaced:
Ordered a new DISA valve which cost £220:
Replaced the O2 sensor:
The wipers wouldn't work because when me and George were looking around we pulled the relay out and didnt put it back in properly. The misfire was due to a cracked spark plug which i must have done by over tightening the plug:
After doing all the work, i realised there was an oil leak and i didnt know where it was coming from so i clean down the engine and seen that it was leaking the oil filter housing, so i ordered a a new seal valve:
With all that done i treated it so some mats:
Got a part worn for £20 which i got changed at my mates places, Sheldons. With the car now running well, i took it for the retest and passed successfully.
It was blowing out hot air on cold so i topped up the air con:
But it didnt sort it out so i think the Final Stage Unit could be the culprit. The car does need the centre caps which i picked up today, costing £56 but finish off the car.
With the car running mechanically sound, the body was the next issue. With me already forking out just under £800 to get the car running well i wasnt too sure whether to get the body sorted as there is a scratch down to the metal on the driver's door and quarter panel, dent in the driver's front wing and the whole front bumper needs respraying:
My mate came round just after i took these photos and he said that it would be great for his girlfriend. He toddled off home to pick her up and show and she liked it. So i've taken her IS200 in part exchange because the head gasket has gone and that now needs fixing. With her seeing all the bits of body work, she said she wanted it done so i dropped it off this afternoon at Trafford Motor Body Services for them to sort out next week at a cost of £400.
When its all done i'll get some pictures up before it goes off to its new owner.