Thanks for adding this section!
Here is my Downing Atlanta Supercharger. You can find this information in my project thread but for those you just want to read the best bit here it is...
It uses an Eaton M62 Roots 'charger and should bring the power of a humble 318is up to around the 200bhp mark. They quote 230bhp (at the fly) but I haven't dyno'd it yet. It is designed to be a 'bolt on' kit and run with the standard engine in every way, however improvements can (and will) be made in the future.
Here is the finished product
But I shall tell the story in pictures...
Right, well it turns out there is to be more than one hurdle in this project. I shall get to the second pain in the arse later, for now I'll take you through the Supercharger experience so far. Starting on day 1 (27/5/12)...
Here's what I started (and finished) the day with. It was lovely and sunny and Steve was once again on hand to help (the biggest thanks for this project has to go to Steve for the continued hard work - but he isn't finished yet! ).
Intake out and some lovely dirt revealed.
I couldn't just leave it.
Upper intake manifold off.
Coolant had to be drained as well.
Fuel rail and injectors out.
A nice chunk of wiring. This was where I was useless and went to make bacon sandwiches (see pictures above).
Lower intake manifold off.
Seemed like a good time to clean the ICV.
The wiring was sorted out as well.
Here's a belt comparison photo.
Things seemed to be going well, until...
The idler pulley bracket doesn't line up! As a result it meant that progress had to stop and all the original intake manifold had to go back in (as I needed the car). After much part cross referencing on realoem we realised that I had been sent a bracket for an M44. Someone else's fuck up had meant we'd spent almost the entire day doing nothing. The parts needed were either the correct bracket or an alternator bracket from an M44, the alternator, the power steering pump and all the bolts. As Downing Atlanta couldn't give a fuck about their mistake it was decided we'd go for the alternator bracket, and once again Steve was to help out by sorting the parts needed (as his post above shows).
The good things to come out of day 1 was that the wiring and fuel lines were completed. That didn't stop me being quite gutted and really pissed off though.
Day 2 of the supercharger experience (1/2/12). Myself and Steve were in for a late night session having both worked full shifts during the day, but with the dyno day today we tried our best to get everything up and running. It was not to be, but I'll get to that in a bit.
Here we go again.
A majority of this had to come out.
To be replaced with this.
Out with the old.
In with the 'new'. This even included an M43/M44 oil filter and housing.
All because of one bolt!
Now the bracket fits!
The intake manifold had to come out (again).
New intake put together and ready to fit (this is immediately going on the list on things to upgrade).
The supercharger and gasket.
Now the supercharger and new inlet manifold being put together.
Now being mounted and test fitted.
Un-suprising at this stage that something needed 'adjustment' to fit.
Supercharger support mount now fitted (although I forgot to get a picture of it).
Front support bracket fitted.
Once again, things were going really well. Until...
The M42 injectors don't fit! As the pictures are quite quite blurry I'll explain. The injectors don't actually sit in the inlet manifold's holes. They don't seem long enough, or wide enough (like a bad penis joke!) and therefore the engine would be starved of fuel. There is about a 2mm gap all round. After some quick research today I discovered the difference between US spec and UK spec M42s (of the 1994/95 range). The US spec M42s seem to use the same injectors as the M44 so I've promtly ordered a set to hopefully cure this problem.
So as a result the car stayed like this, also with the RRFPR fitted.
It took some work by myself, and a lot of work from Steve but it finally got there earlier today. The following parts were changed to get the 'charger to fit:
- Alternator Bracket
- Oil Filter Housing
- Oil Filter
- Power Steering Pump (as a result of replacing the alternator bracket)
- Power Steering Hose
- Injector Seals
- The Belt itself (due to the difference in the crank pulley size on the two engines the supplied belt isn't long enough)
- Manifold Gasket (due to having to refit the OEM manifold)
There you go. The car feels great with the supercharger. Very responsive and the extra power is great. Be warned though mpg will become effected, especially being as the whine it makes is very addictive!
I plan to improve things with more aggressive cams, a BBTB, a much improved intake, a smaller pulley (to increase boost), water/meth injection and of course a custom map of some sort.