as with probably most 318is owners i loved the car, the drive, etc but just hankered for some more power
and didnt fancy doing a six pot swap like most would suggest!
so i looked into other options!
while i did my research and waited for the right parts etc to come up for sale i set about making sure the car was ready to handle the upcoming extra power
this included kw variant 2 coilovers
and to help bring me to a halt a little quicker i fitted the front brakes from a e46 330
along with the servo and mc from an m3 evo and goodridge braided hoses
with that out of the way i was ready for more power!
and my 1st port of call was to go for a nitrous setup
i went all out with a direct port wet wizards of noz system complete with bottle warmer
race controller etc but stupidly during my research i never rang the places i'd looked at online that did refills
and most no longer did it and the closest i could find was over 80 miles away which wasnt workable so it was sold
which brought my FAST AND FURIOUS days to an end
luckily it was sold at a profit and i was back on the look out for a more reliable FI option
i really wanted to supercharge it but couldnt find one for sale anywhere so nearly went for a turbo setup
but with a stroke of a luck and numerous wanted ads posted everywhere one turned up! a DASC (just what i wanted from the start!)
so before it all started
it was a second hand system but looked pretty much brand new
and as part of the deal came with an uprated pulley (3.4" instead of the standard 3.6") creating roughly in the ball park of 10-12 psi
it also had a non return valve on the injector air feed which stops boost bleedback
so lots of new bits ordered ie new gaskets for everywhere and new o-rings for injectors etc
so once the weekend came the weather was workable i laid all the parts out ready
got the installation guide up to follow on my laptop
and set to work! first of all stripping bits out of the way
coolant was then drained top hose removed as this was to be replaced (standard one comes too close the charger pulley)
aswell as the maf intake boot icv etc
then the throttle body
and then the rest of the upper manifold
fuel lines were then removed
and the fuel rail removed
from here the bit i didnt like having to hack up wiring!
but got through it using different coloured tape for different connections etc
once they were out of the way the lower manifold could be removed
i was also lucky enough to get some braided steel fuel lines in the sale too so they were fitted
the idler pulleys were then fitted (for those with the m42 wanting to fit this see princes thread to see how he got around this!)
a new manifold gasket was then fitted
fitted the support bracket that you can just see underneath and then tried offering it up
fitted the rrfpr
refitted the fuel rail
then the throttle body, maf and intake boot etc
initially fitted the pikey air fiter that came with it as i couldnt quite squeeze the viper back in
heres my johny aged 5 drawing of how the belt goes on lol
new top hose fitted (notice the different shape the clear the pulley)
and electric fan refitted
new coolant etc
and heres a vid of it first fired up well 2nd actually as it died 1st time and sounded like a bag of nails!
in the vid it still sounds terrible and later realised it was because of a broken injector! (you can actually see the bit i broke on the pic of the fuel rail being removed injector 3!)
a couple of days later i fitted the new injector and all was well!
overall it took me between 8-10 hours with a lot of brews inbetween! but could easily half that now i know what i'm doing!
was pretty embarressed at the state of the engine during the install so a bay detail was in order next
needless to say it totally transformed the car! and sounds awesome under load the whine is pretty adictive and i'm still not bored of hearing it!
after a little jiggery pokery i managed to refit the viper and as you can see from this pic i also managed to fit a 6 pot strut brace which normally isnt possible on the 4 pots
since the install i've been wanting to get as much out of it as possible while it remaining reliable
so every little helps so 1st up was a BBTB was fitted (on the left in the comparison pic)
the fuel pump gave up so i fitted a walbro 255 one
i then did my homework on how to get the most out of the tuning so after a good bit of homework etc found the way to go was
bigger injectors (30lb from a volvo turbo)
a bigger maf (325 maf)
and adaptors from metric mech in the states
this map also gets rid of the rrfpr! which i never had a problem with but most FI gurus i asked said its not the best way of doing things
the mapping was done and the rev limit was also raised by a few hundred rpm which makes a nice difference!
i then needed a bigger air filter to fit the bigger maf so managed to source a well known dave f kit
i didnt have the right size intake boot but with a little help from my trusty rambo knife i made it work and capped off the bit that used to feed the air fed injectors that now doesnt
the capped off part (using a dust cover from a brake calliper!)
needless to say after the mapping it runs a lot better and has more ooomph and the dave f makes it sound that bit meaner!
and thats about where i'm at for the time being! next plans are the even smaller pulley 3.2" giving 15 psi aswell as running the meth injection that this needs to make it all work!
and some gauges to keep an eye on things!
hope you like it and if you have any questions fire away!