I had my 325i Terracleaned 6 weeks ago, this was something I had been reading about and was waiting for someone relatively local to offer it, the company in question is Martin Matthewson Ltd - The Volvo Specialists aka Terraclean Basingstoke.
Martin is the main guy that operates it and would do the Terraclean, Lee is the guy who you will speak to on the phone.
I know there isn't much awareness of it on here but certainly a lot of interest on other forums regarding Terraclean but are "on the fence" or thinking it being "Snake Oil" hence my review in this thread which I hope you all find useful.
Below is what the process is:
- Car's own fuel supply is disconnected to the engine (most people pull out the fuse to the fuel pump)
- Terraclean System is powered by the cars battery (or a 12v battery)
- 2x cans of Terraclean "Fuel"/Cleaning Agent is connected to the machine
- One is a red can, one is a black one, Red = Fuel Injectors/Valves, Black = Post combustion areas
- Terraclean System is connected directly to the car's fuel rail system or fuel line
- Engine is started with Terraclean's "Fuel"
- Engine is ran at approx 2000 RPM on Terraclean's "Fuel", this is run for approx 45 mins until the cans have run out, the process cleans out anything that is involved with the fuel/combustion process so from Fuel Injectors all the way down to the Catalytic Converter including cO2 sensors, the carbon is burned out through the exhaust system in the process.
- Disconnect Terraclean system from car
- Reconnect car's own fuel supply to the engine
- Engine is started to ensure it's all running good
- Quick Test Drive by mechanic (Where applicable)
- You pay your money and hopefully drive away with a much more responsive and cleaner burning car
Photo of terraclean in action:
MPG from my house to Martin Matthewson:
MPG on way back, please note that on the back I was in Rush hour and it was raining fairly hard with surface spray/water:
My first impressions are the engine note sounds more crisper, more pull in the higher rev range too, it actually surprised me a bit how quickly it accelerated from 40 to 70 on the way back from Basingstoke!
The car had it's MOT 2 weeks later and below are the emissions figures of last year to this year:
Fast Idle Test:
Natural Idle Test:
Fast Idle Test:
Natural Idle Test:
A few weeks later I am still noticing the benefits, town MPG has gone up from 19-21, now it is 21-25 MPG, the engine also works less hard now to get going too, long runs I used to get about 29-31, I got 33 MPG the other day on a run, so all in all more noticeable benefit when going around town.
It cost me £84 INC VAT (that's £70+VAT) which was a special price to me as a Forum member, compared to the normal price of £75+VAT which I might add is very competitive around my area already, the price above is for 2 to 3 litre engines, for 1 to 2 litre engines it is £60+VAT to me/you or normally at £65+VAT
Lee has confirmed to me that if anyone who goes to them for a Terraclean he is happy to match the pricing he's given me, just mention my name Michael Lam who has the Silver BMW E46 and he should know who you are talking about
I would also like to add that they have done 2 other cars in the family now with my brother's Vauxhall Astra being the first car and my dad's Mercedes E220 CDi this week.
My brother noticed significantly better throttle response and drivability with a bit more MPG, the MOT also showed lower emission figures too.
Early impressions on my dad's Mercedes are more instant throttle response (well for a Mercedes as they seem to be tuned for a gentle take off), more power throughout the rev range and indicating better MPG on the dash but we will soon see if the real world gains anymore.
Terraclean Basingstoke is there site for anyone wanting to have a look at their site, if you aren't far then it maybe worth the journey as I know my other local operator wanted £105+VAT!
I hope people are still reading this as I know it's long but I just wanted to share my thoughts on it.