I've had my 330Ci Convertible for 3 months now, loving it overall. I changed from an MG ZS Diesel, and the power and lots of equipment and nice little touches designed into the car is very good so far. It's a 55 plate, and was a trade in car at a garage I bought cheap. The burgundy leather makes it stand out and adds something to the car in my opinion.
It has a service history from BMW and a BMW specialist, but lots of work needs doing. I'm doing a mini restoration on it, bodywork is generally good, and wheels too, but I have a plan to do a fair bit to get it running sweetly:
Things I've done already:
- Inspection 1 & 2 services
- Fuel filter
- New diff and gearbox oils
- Vanos seals - I think this stopped a bad jerking in 1st gear on a cold engine, and the car has lost a big chasm of a flat spot at low revs in high gears.
- Cleaned throttle body + ICV
- Few screws + bolts
- New lambda sensors
- New MAF
- Injector cleaner through tank
- New Clubsport gear knob - much more positive shift
- 2 parking sensors - awkward when one of the main bumper bolts spins so can't be removed
- Handbrake tightened (a must) and deglazed by pulling it on when driving at low speed
- Rear window adjusted, I think someone has leaned on it, still a little bit loose but the car's watertight now. I can't be bothered to strip the rear panel off and figure out how to fix it.
- Wiper blades
- Good polish and wax, gleaming now!
- Oil flush and 2 x oil filter changes - 1 oil change to go, the oil's still black after the 1st
- New tyres all round - mismatched rubbish was on there. Done the rears so at least I can drive in the wet now without being scared, fronts still to go.
Things I plan to do:
- LED interior overhead lights - the standard ones are a bit dim
- New water pump, stat, and flush system (rad and coolant tank been done I think - the tank has a recent date on it, and radiator looks perfect)
- Clean vanos solenoids - exhaust side is failing DIS leak test. New vanos seals should be bedded in by now as done around 500 miles on them.
- New alternator duct (has a hole)
- New wheelarch liner - missing one
- New lollipop bushes - pulls on braking, bit of a shimmy
- New drivers mirror - it's the later ribbon type and neither work, the ribbon on the driver's is shot
- Aircon regas + drier
- Retrofit xenons
- New stereo
- Respray front bumper - someone has rattle canned it at the bottom, doh!
- Smart repair on rear bumper - has a bit of crazing in the lacquer - probably due to the duff parking sensors causing a minor impact
- New centre box
I've probably missed a few things too, and having Harry Fairburn BMW as a vendor on here is going to be a great help.
Anyhow, the car is eye catching and a lovely driver now, will be happy in around 2-3 months when I've got 90% of the jobs done. The economy on a run isn't bad, I had 37mpg back from picking it up, on a 100 mile journey, with some 50mph roadwork parts, some 70mph cruising, and a few foot to the floor moments, it's a 6 speed. Around town, mpg was a bit disappointing, I only drive 4 miles every day going between work and home, but was only getting 17mpg - know it's a big engine, heavy car, but my gut feeling was it should be giving a bit more. Neither doing Vanos seals, lambda sensors, all the fluids or filters seemed to improve it, however, I just threw a can of Forte Petrol Saver injector cleaner additive in a few days ago, and filled with Esso Super instead of VPower, and today, the economy is about 2mpg more on exactly the same short trip - if it stabilises at over 20mpg for the short run to work and back I'll be happy, time will tell.
Strangely the car rides lot smoother than the ZS, despite the wheels being an inch bigger, and having the M Sport suspension, I wouldn't call it harsh at all, despite what I had read previously about M Sport suspension. Not having run flats might help though, or perhaps the extra weight of the convertible helps smooth things out a bit, or both.
Liking the nice comments from neighbours and passer's by, the car wears it's age very well, TBH I'm not sold on the style of the E93 convertibles with the roof up, but think the E46 is very good looking in Coupe form, and stunning as a soft top.
Anyhow here's a picture..., I hope to have it some time and be on the forum for a while.