My best mate is 64 years old and has just been diagnosed with lung cancer - it's inoperable and the only treatment offered will give him at best another couple of months...:thumbsdown
Now, due to his ill health he has not been able to indulge in his passion - which is his Lotus cars (he has a few tucked away). When we spoke about things last week the only thing that he wanted to do was a last trackday. So onto the task in hand, his 1987 Lotus Excel has seen better days, six years ago we put a hybrid clutch in her and all was well until it started to leak oil from the rear crankshaft oil seal. It has become apparent that the cause of the leak is the hybrid clutch that has worn the thrust bearing and destroyed the seal - and due to the clearance in the engine bay, the only option is to remove the engine and rebuild her properly (they usually need a bit of a bottom end refresh after 100k anyway).
I know that some people on Faceache have already seen some of the progress that we have made so far, we had to remove the motor, strip it and start a list.... I think I needed a pull on Chris's Oxygen cylinder after pulling this one out - it's a monster....:yikes
After it was removed I split the gearbox off the motor, removed the clutch and flywheel and took the sump off to have a look at the connecting rod bearings and crank...
We have decided that I will replace:-
The front and rear crankshaft oil seals.
The clutch (again!)
Exhaust and Inlet manifold gaskets.
The sump (houses the crankshaft) and lower sump gaskets.
The thrust bearings, big end bearings and shells...
The radiator needs re coring.
We have ordered all the parts for this as well as service items (oils, filters, plugs etc..) and a couple of hoses and seals/gaskets that we need to remove to get to the other bits, I am hoping that these bits will start to arrive at the beginning of next week so that we can get the job on.
I will post up more pictures as we go (hopefully even a video or two of her running again as it sounds awesome when it is on full chat), just to show another motor in the rebuild phase and to take my mind off the reason that I am doing this - it's been a long time since I have worked on a car like this purely for the hell of it, please wish me luck...